Here are seven tips and tricks to help keep your organics container free of rodents and clean:
- Regularly wash your kitchen compost pail with soap and water and rinse your green organics cart.
- Line the bottom of your kitchen pail and green organics cart with newspaper, cardboard, or paper towels to absorb moisture.
- Freeze meat scraps in a reusable container and only put them into your green organics cart on collection day.
- Lightly sprinkle baking soda into your kitchen pail and green organics cart to absorb odors.
- Layer wet materials (food scraps) and dry materials (leaves, clippings, and branches) in your green organics cart to reduce the chances of material sticking to your container.
- Place wet materials (food scraps) into a paper bag or certified biodegradable bag before placing them into your green organics cart.
- Keep your cart lids tightly closed.