I am visiting from another country. Do I need to obtain a California driver’s license?

If you are a visitor in California and have a valid driver's license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver's license as long as your home state/ country license remains valid. The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver's license. California does recognize a valid driver's license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident. If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver's license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, renting a home in California, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents. On a similar note, the IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person's foreign driver's license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California and as mentioned is not a permit to drive. IDP's are advised to obtain if issued by the resident country. It is also recommended to carry another form of ID like a passport. Additionally, a non-resident under the age of 18 with a valid license from a foreign jurisdiction can only drive in California for 10 days. After 10 days, a non-resident minor must obtain a non-resident minor's certificate issued by DMV. Proof of financial responsibility is a prerequisite to obtaining a non-resident minor certificate. A non-resident minor in the military has 60 days to drive before having to obtain a non-resident minor certificate or full California driver's license.

Show All Answers

1. Where do I pay a traffic ticket?
2. Can the Alhambra Police Department sign off my "fix-it" ticket?
3. Can I refuse to take tests if I am stopped for DUI?
4. If I spot an abandoned vehicle on a public street, what should I do?
5. I don’t know who towed my vehicle, what do I do?
6. How do I get my vehicle out of impound?
7. My car was towed but I contest the validity of the authority to store the vehicle. What can I do?
8. I got a traffic ticket, but I didn’t receive anything in the mail. How do I know what to pay or if I can go to traffic school?
9. When do I have to report a traffic accident, and to whom?
10. While driving my car, I struck and damaged property (other than another car). What do I do?
11. Does the Alhambra Police Department install child safety seats?
12. What's the age limit to carry passengers in the car?
13. I am visiting from another country. Do I need to obtain a California driver’s license?