About the Department
The Community Development Department is comprised of five divisions: Planning, Building, Housing, Economic Development, and Code Enforcement. The Department's primary roles include the day to day administration of the City's land use regulations, building permit review of conformance with zoning regulations, rehabilitation, and creation of affordable housing, creation of a vibrant and stable local business community, and ensuring compliance with the Zoning Code and other City and state regulations. The department partners with other departments and agencies to stimulate economic growth, create new jobs, and plan for long-term development in the city.
- Planning - administer and implement the City's planning and land use functions
- Building - ensure safe construction of buildings
- Housing - administer housing programs which include Homeowner Rehabilitation Programs
- Economic Development - promote access to economic opportunities
- Code Enforcement - promote a safe and blight-free community by addressing substandard housing, unauthorized land and building uses, zoning violations, un-permitted work, and other Health and Safety code violations
Community Development Links
To apply for Building Plan Checks, Planning Entitlements, Zoning Clearance, and Occupancy Permits/Home Occupation Permits, or to look up Zoning information, please visit our new Citizen's Portal.
See our How to Guide for help on using the Citizen's Access Portal.
Building & Planning Appointments
Meetings with staff are now available Monday through Thursday for 30-minute intervals. To make an appointment to speak to Building and/or Planning, click on the City of Alhambra Appointment Calendar. In-person meetings will take place at the Building and Planning counter located in the Community Development Department within City Hall. Zoom meetings are available upon request. If you would prefer to meet via Zoom, please specify in the "Additional Comments" section.