Please note that the Alhambra Finance Department no longer accepts payments for animal licenses and these payments are now handled by the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control. To purchase a new dog or domestic cat license or renew an existing dog or domestic cat license online, by phone at 562-940-6898, or in person at:
11258 S Garfield Avenue
Downey, CA 90242
Please note that there is a mandatory spay/neuter of dogs/cats at 6 months of age. Wild animals and hogs are NOT allowed or permitted as pets. Rodeos and stockyards are not allowed in the City jurisdiction as well.
What You Need to Know About Licensing Your Dog
- All dogs over four months old must be permitted and have a metal tag (Alhambra Municipal Code § 7.20.020).
- The L.A. County Department of Animal Care and Control website allows you to use a credit/debit card to renew a dog license or pay for a renewal license online.
- Dog license fee: - Non-spayed or non-neutered animal - $60 per year - Certificate of Sterilization - $20 per year- Senior citizens - $7.50 per year; this fee will be reimbursed upon approval by the City when the resident brings proof of payment (as well as the dog's proof of sterilization) to the Finance Department.
- A $40 penalty fee is charged for failure to license a dog when the license lapses beyond the annual expiration date or the pet was not previously licensed.
- Proof of the dog's current rabies vaccination certificate and proper renewal paperwork from the County is required.
What You Need to Know About Licensing Your Cat
- Domestic cats are subject to voluntary licensing.
- Licensing is in place for your cat’s safety, if there is an accidental escape from your address.
- L.A. County Department of Animal Care and Control Website
- Apply for a New Pet License